-next trees and my time this cycle

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Dec 12 11:09:04 PST 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:

> So since Xmas is coming up and I've got an impending new arrival, I'm
> betting this merge window might get a bit haphazard. So I'd like
> people to start telling me now via git pull's what they'd like to get
> in.

So the rest of the world may not have an impending new arrival, but
with pretty much everybody doing Christmas break, I don't really
foresee opening the merge window immediately after the holidays. I
can't reasonably expect people to get ready for the merge window while
being drunk on eggnog or whatever.

If 4.4 stays on the usual schedule (and there's currently no big
reason to think it shouldn't), I'd do the final rc late December, and
final release on the Sunday of Jan 3rd.

But really, if I want people to be *ready* when the merge window
opens, rather than start working on it, I'd better delay the opening
of the merge window by at least a week.

So right now my tentative plan is to open the 4.5 merge window on Jan 10th.

Can't help with your impending new arrival, though. I thought you said
you had figured out why that kept happening?

                     Linus