Question about vmwgfx (Attempt to port to Android-x86)

Paulo Sergio pstglia at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:49:41 PST 2015

Hi everybody,

I'm currently playing if it's possible to use vmwgfx driver on Android-x86
(drm gralloc part - which is currently using a pipe driver implemented by
Chia-I Wu)

I'm using xf86-video-vmware as base (vmwgfx_drmi.c functions). Can some of
you answer questions?

1) When allocating a buffer, if a handle is passed, other drivers use
functions that I believe are used to reuse an existing BO and associate it
to the handle (radeon_bo_open for radeon, nouveau_bo_name_ref for nouveau
and drm_intel_bo_gem_create_from_name for intel).

Couldn't find a similar function to vmwgfx. Do you know if such function
exists? If so, can you point me the name?

2) I'm using vmw_dma_buffer as type for buffer object (to have the same
function of radeon_bo_manager / nouveau_bo / drm_intel_bo). Is this
correct? If not, which one should I use?

3) Does any special coding is required as this (something to communicate
with host machine) or this is not necessary?

Thanks a lot!

Paulo Sérgio Travaglia (pstglia)
pstglia at gmail.com