R200 DRM/KMS

Steven Newbury steve at snewbury.org.uk
Mon Jul 6 06:39:05 PDT 2015

Hi,
I've been trying to get DRM/KMS working with the current graphics
stack (xf86-video-ati 7.5, xserver-1.17) on a R200 series card.  I
assumed this should be working since KMS was implemented for it a
while back, and it has been working with xf86-video-ati-6.x.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work.

I've narrowed it down to drmSetInterfaceVersion() failing when called
from the ATI driver (in radeon_kms.c).  This is a bit strange since,
/sys/class/drm/version correctly reports 1.1.0 20060810.  Presuably
it's getting the correct fd for the DRM master otherwise it should
bail earlier?

Googling confirms others have had the same issue, and generally the
resolution has been to stick with the old driver.

Should this be working?  Is it known to be broken?