atombios_crtc.c - make error messages distinguishable "unable to allocate a PPLL\n"

Deucher, Alexander Alexander.Deucher at amd.com
Mon Jun 8 10:43:31 PDT 2015

DCE4 parts (like the 5570) only have an external clock if the OEM supplied it, hence not all boards have it.  Also, the external clock source can only be used to drive native DP (DisplayPort), not non-DP outputs like DVI or HDMI or VGA or a passive DP to DVI/HDMI convertor.  If you are using 3 non-DP displays, that will only work if at least two of the displays have the exact same clock and hence can share a PLL.  If you want to use a the external clock, the board has to have it, and if it does, it can only be used for DP.  There are lots of other complex cases and limitations as well depending on the asic.

Alex