2 questions about git and merging

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue May 26 07:04:27 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 03:09:04PM +0200, Rainer Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a week ago I experienced problems on the skylake platform and got the
> adivce to try out the drm-intel-nightly branch. I tried and it was a
> success.
>
> So after the initial "git clone" of the tree I tried to keep updated by
> doing a "git pull" from time to time, but what's really strange is that
> I got merge conflicts, usually in the file integration-manifest, but
> sometimes also in source files.
>
> That's looks somewhat weird because I didn't touch any of the files in
> the tree and I thought that after cloning a frequent "git pull" will
> keep me up to date without the need to resolve merge conflicts.
>
> What is wrong with my thought? What did I do wrong?

-nigthly is a rebasing tree, git pull does the wrong thing for that. The
proper way to track rebasing branches is (assuming you have no local
patches that you want to keep):

$ git fetch origin
$ git reset --hard @{upstream}

> Second, I pulled the "Linus"-tree today and found some log entries that
> said
>  Merge branch 'drm-fixes-4.1' of
> git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux into drm-fixes
>
> and
>  Merge tag 'drm-intel-fixes-2015-05-21' of
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/drm-intel into drm-fixes
>
> So I assumed, that the fix I proved to work one week ago now should also
> be available in the "vanilla" tree. So I compiled that on my test
> machine and got my bug back. :-(
>
> So my other question is, how do fixes from drm-intel-nightly find their
> weay into the "vanilla" linux tree? Is there some sort of process
> description.

It takes a while. If the patch is in drm-intel-fixes, it will first got to
drm-fixes and then to vanilla upstream, then to stable kernels (if it's
cc: stable). You can check which branch a patch is in already with

$ git branch --contains $sha1

Add -r if you want to see all the remote branches too.

Cheers, Daniel

> Thanks for any explanation
> Rainer
> --
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Rainer Koenig
> Project Manager Linux Clients
> Dept. PDG WPS R&D SW OSE
>
> Fujitsu Technology Solutions
> Bürgermeister-Ullrich-Str. 100
> 86199 Augsburg
> Germany
>
> Telephone: +49-821-804-3321
> Telefax:   +49-821-804-2131
> Mail:      mailto:Rainer.Koenig at ts.fujitsu.com
>
> Internet         ts.fujtsu.com
> Company Details  ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch