2 questions about git and merging

Rainer Koenig Rainer.Koenig at ts.fujitsu.com
Tue May 26 22:03:48 PDT 2015

Am 26.05.2015 um 17:17 schrieb Jani Nikula:

> However we don't necessarily queue Skylake fixes to the current
> development kernels through drm-intel-fixes/drm-fixes, as the Skylake
> support there is anyway preliminary, the fix (I don't think we figured
> out which exact commit it was, did we?) may only end up upstream after
> the next merge window, i.e. at v4.2-rc1.

I understand you from a software developers point of view. My real world
problem is simply explained, that we do prototype testing for Skylake
now with real physical hardware. This hardware should go into prodcution
whenever Intel decides to release the Skylake platform, probably in
Q4/2015. From that date on people can buy Skylake based PCs and
workstations and they probably want to run Linux on those machines.
But they don't want to compile their own kernel, they want to stuck with
whatever is in the distributions (e.g. RHEL, SLES, Ubuntu whatever). But
also distributions have merge windows for new hardware features and the
longer it takes for a patch to show up in the vanilla tree the later it
will show up in the individual distribution kernel. Working for a
hardware vendor I see that this is bad for business. :-)

Thanks a lot for the explanations anyway, learned a lot from that.

Best regards
Rainer
--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Rainer Koenig
Project Manager Linux Clients

Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Bürgermeister-Ullrich-Str. 100
86199 Augsburg
Germany

Telephone: +49-821-804-3321
Telefax:   +49-821-804-2131
Mail:      mailto:Rainer.Koenig at ts.fujitsu.com

Internet         ts.fujtsu.com
Company Details  ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html