2 questions about git and merging

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Tue May 26 23:24:31 PDT 2015

On Wed, 27 May 2015, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 May 2015 at 01:17, Jani Nikula <jani.nikula at linux.intel.com> wrote:

>>> -nigthly is a rebasing tree, git pull does the wrong thing for that. The
>>> proper way to track rebasing branches is (assuming you have no local
>>> patches that you want to keep):
>>>
>>> $ git fetch origin
>>> $ git reset --hard @{upstream}

>>> It takes a while. If the patch is in drm-intel-fixes, it will first got to
>>> drm-fixes and then to vanilla upstream, then to stable kernels (if it's
>>> cc: stable). You can check which branch a patch is in already with
>>
>> However we don't necessarily queue Skylake fixes to the current
>> development kernels through drm-intel-fixes/drm-fixes, as the Skylake
>> support there is anyway preliminary, the fix (I don't think we figured
>> out which exact commit it was, did we?) may only end up upstream after
>> the next merge window, i.e. at v4.2-rc1.
>
> So 4.1 won't cut it on skylake? I'm not sure everyone in Intel is aware.

My approach has been that I don't queue fixes to current development
kernels for platforms that still require i915.preliminary_hw_support=1
or CONFIG_DRM_I915_PRELIMINARY_HW_SUPPORT=y. Obviously same for
stable. I don't think this is unreasonable.

Basically preliminary means the implementation does not have feature
parity with the preceding platform, and is expected to be rough around
th edges.

Skylake still requires the preliminary flag even in
drm-intel-nightly. Damien, should we drop preliminary for Skylake in
v4.2? Or already in v4.1?

BR,
Jani.