DRM i2c module or bridge ?

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 04:48:51 PST 2015

Hello Thierry, all,

Inspired by a recent discussion I was started wondering - where is the
cut between DRM i2c modules (most of which encoders/transmitters) and
bridge drivers (again some of which i2c encoders) ? Does anyone has
some pointers on the topic ?

Based on the above I did a very quick search for third party IP
modules in the DRM subsystem:

* i915
dvo_ch7017.c
dvo_ch7xxx.c
dvo_ivch.c
dvo_ns2501.c
dvo_sil164.c
dvo_tfp410.c

* gma500
tc35876x-dsi-lvds.c

* sti
sti_hdmi_tx3g0c55phy.c
sti_hdmi_tx3g4c28phy.c

(and for posterity)
* i2c
adv7511.c
ch7006_drv.c
sil164_drv.c
tda998x_drv.c

* bridge
dw_hdmi.c
nxp-ptn3460.c
parade-ps8622.c

By the looks of it, we can move rework (some of?) the above into
i2c/bridge modules and in other cases (sil164) just use the existing
one ? I'm neither volunteering nor suggesting people must work of
these, merely curious.

Thanks
Emil