Funky new vblank counter regressions in Linux 4.4-rc1

Harry Wentland harry.wentland at amd.com
Mon Nov 23 12:04:26 PST 2015

Hi Mario,

when we've had issues with this on amdgpu Christian fixed it by enabling
page flip irq all the time, rather than turning it on when usermode
request a flip and turning it back off after we handled it. I believe
that fix exists on radeon already. Michel should have more info on that.

See other comments inline.

Thanks,
Harry

On 2015-11-23 11:02 AM, Mario Kleiner wrote:
> On 11/20/2015 04:42 AM, Alex Deucher wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Mario Kleiner
>> <mario.kleiner.de at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Alex and Michel and Ville,
>>>
>>> it's "fix vblank stuff" time again ;-)
>>
>> Adding Harry from our display team.  He might be able to fill in the
>> blanks of on some of this better than I can.  It might also be worth
>> checking to see how our DAL (our new display code which is being
>> developed directly by our display team) code handles this.  It could
>> be that we are just missing register settings:
>
> Thanks Alex! And hello Harry :)
>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=DAL-wip
>
> I'll have a look at this.
>
>> Additionally we've published full registers headers for the display
>> block:
>> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/include/asic_reg/dce
>>
>> The DCE8 stuff should generally apply back to DCE4.  If you have
>> questions about registers older asics not covered in the hw docs, let
>> me know.  Note the new headers are dword aligned rather than byte
>> aligned.
>>

> I've tested now with two different progressive modes on DCE3 and one
> progressive mode on DCE4, the only cards i have atm. So far it seems
> that the framecounter indeed increments when the vpos from the scanout
> position query jumps back to zero. Attached for reference is my
> current patch to radeon-kms. This one seems to work reliably so far,
> also if i enable the immediate vblank irq disable which we so far only
> used on intel-kms.
>
> But according to this patch the framecounter increment happens
> somewhere in the middle of vblank.
>
> Essentially from the vpos extracted from
> EVERGREEN_CRTC_STATUS_POSITION which defines start of vblank ("Start"
> part of EVERGREEN_CRTC_V_BLANK_START_END) until maximum ie. VTOTAL-1
> the framecounter stays on the count of the old previous scanout cycle.
> Then when vpos wraps to zero the framecounter increments by 1. And
> then we have another couple of dozen lines inside vblank until
> reaching the "End" part of EVERGREEN_CRTC_V_BLANK_START_END and
> entering active scanout for the new frame.
>
> So the position of observed framecounter increment seems to be not
> close to the end of vblank ("start of frame" indicator?), but a couple
> of scanlines after start of vblank.
>
> E.g., for a 2560x1440 video mode at 60 Hz, start of vblank is 1478,
> vtotal is 1481, end of vblank is 38. So i enter the vblank and see the
> old framecounter for vpos = 1478, 1479, 1480, then it wraps to 0 and
> the framecounter increments by 1, then 38 scanlines later the vblank
> ends.
>
> So i seem to have something that seems to work in practice and this
> "increment framecounter if vpos wraps back to zero" behavior makes
> some sense. It just doesn't conform to what those descriptions for
> start_line and "start of frame" indicator describe?

This is correct. Our HW doesn't really have a vblank counter but a frame
counter. The framecounter increments at the start of vsync, which is
when we wrap to zero which doesn't coincide with the start of vblank.

What we're trying to do with get_vblank_counter isn't the same as what
framecount gives us, but we could probably do something like:

if (get_scanout_pos > vblank_start)
   return frame_count + 1;
else
   return frame_count;