HDMI codec, way forward?

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Fri Oct 16 07:12:51 PDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 02:37:17PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> If all the effort that's been put into discussion was put into sorting
> out a solution, maybe we'd be a little further forward than we are now.

> I've sent one proposal which uses a notifier to inform audio and CEC
> drivers about state changes in the HDMI video side, and had precisely
> zero replies to it - people seemed to prefer discussing stuff rather
> than reviewing code and coming up with actual solutions.

I agree entirely with the above.  FWIW I'm not reviewing code so much
because I don't feel I have enough HDMI-specific knowledge to make sure
things are general enough and the lack of discussion makes me unsure
that it's really helping - I don't want to give the impression that it's
a case of addressing some code level comments I might have when I'm not
sure we're even travelling in the right direction.