[GIT PULL] On-demand device probing

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Mon Oct 19 04:02:38 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 10:44:41AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-10-18 at 20:53 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Do you mean firmware rather than bus here?  I think that's the confusion
> > I have...

> Certainly, if it literally is adding of_* calls then that would seem to
> be gratuitously firmware-specific. Nothing should be using those these
> days; any new code should be using the generic device property APIs
> (except in special cases).

It's not entirely clear to me that we should be moving to fwnode_
wholesale yet - the last advice was to hold off for a little while which
makes sense given that the ACPI community still doesn't seem to have
worked out what it wants to do here and how.  The x86 embedded people
are all gung ho but it's less clear that anyone else wants to use _DSD
in quite the same way (I know of some efforts to use _DSD separately to
the DT compatibility stuff) and there are some vendors who definitely do
have completely different binding schemes for ACPI and DT and therefore
specifically care which is in use.

It would really help if ACPI could get their binding review process in
place, and if we do want to actually start converting everything to
fwnode_ we need to start communicating that actively since otherwise
people can't really be expected to know.