[GIT PULL] On-demand device probing

Alan Stern stern at rowland.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 20 07:40:03 PDT 2015

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015, Rob Herring wrote:

> > The probe ordering is not the entire picture, though.
> >
> > Even if you get the probe ordering right, the problem is going to show up in
> > multiple other places: system suspend/resume, runtime PM, system shutdown,
> > unbinding of drivers.  In all of those cases it is necessary to handle things
> > in a specific order if there is a dependency.
>
> My understanding was with deferred probe that it also solves suspend
> ordering problems because things are suspended in reverse order of
> probing.

Devices are suspended in reverse order of _registration_.  Not of
probing.

Furthermore, that applies only to devices that use synchronous suspend.
Async suspend is becoming common, and there the only restrictions are
parent-child relations plus whatever explicit requirements that drivers
impose by calling device_pm_wait_for_dev().

Alan Stern