[GIT PULL] On-demand device probing

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Sat Oct 24 10:55:51 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Frank Rowand <frowand.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been defaulting to the position that has been asserted by
> the device tree maintainters, that probe deferrals work just fine
> for at least the majority of cases (and is the message I have been
> sharing in my conference presentations about device tree).  But I
> suspect that there is at least a small minority of cases that are not
> well served by probe deferral.  (Not to be read as an endorsement of
> this specific patch series, just a generic observation.)

Yep, once in a while people still stumble on obscure subsystems and drivers
not supporting probe deferral. Usually they don't fail with a big bang, so
everything seems fine.

E.g. last week's "of_mdiobus_register_phy() and deferred probe"
(https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/10/22/377).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds