No backlight since linux-4.2.4 - drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/atombios_encoders.c

Michael Burian michael.burian at sbg.at
Tue Oct 27 01:44:12 PDT 2015

On 10/27/15 03:36, Michel Dänzer wrote:

>> [0] contains dmesg output with your patch applied (which fixes the backlight issue)
>
> This is very surprising: The patch just adds some debugging output, it's
> not supposed to have any functional effect. Also, I don't see any of the
> debugging output added by the patch in
> dmesg-4.3.0-rc7-00003-g85051e2-dirty-2015-10-26-11-00-41-radeon-bl-debug.
>

> Are you sure that my patch was actually applied to the radeon driver
> when generating that file? Did you update the initrd with the patched
> radeon.ko?

the build was done using "make -j4 deb-pkg" on a better equipped machine,
.deb packages were copied over and installed - maybe something interesting
happened

AFAICT the patch should have been applied, at least it was shown with
git diff and the -dirty suffix was added by the build system, not me.
All graphics related drivers are compiled in (=y) rather than as
modules (=m) in .config.

Another thing I tried yesterday was to add the old way right below the new one
(this fixes the backlight issue) enclosed by some debug statements that indicate
start / stop of the old / new method. (see atomdebug.diff - should be applied against
mainline)