No more new fbdev drivers, please

Ondrej Zary linux at rainbow-software.org
Fri Sep 25 04:00:13 PDT 2015

On Friday 25 September 2015, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 03:27:01PM +0300, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> > fbdev is (more or less) maintained, but it's a deprecated framework. All
> > new Linux display drivers should be done on DRM.
> >
> > So let's not add any more new fbdev drivers.
> >
> > I will continue to maintain the current fbdev drivers, and I don't mind
> > adding some new features to those current drivers, as long as the amount
> > of code required to add the features stays sensible.
> >
> > I see we have three fbdev drivers in staging: xgifb, fbtft and sm750fb,
> > and the question is what to do with those.
>
> I was still planning to work on xgifb as I need it on some systems for
> the console.

xgifb supports these devices:
PCI_VENDOR_ID_XGI, PCI_DEVICE_ID_XGI_20
PCI_VENDOR_ID_XGI, PCI_DEVICE_ID_XGI_27
PCI_VENDOR_ID_XGI, PCI_DEVICE_ID_XGI_40
PCI_VENDOR_ID_XGI, PCI_DEVICE_ID_XGI_42

Two of them are already supported by sisfb:
PCI_VENDOR_ID_XGI, PCI_DEVICE_ID_XGI_20
PCI_VENDOR_ID_XGI, PCI_DEVICE_ID_XGI_40

So I think that support for the remaining two (and missing features, if any)
should be added to sisfb.

--
Ondrej Zary