[RFC] Docs: drm: Move KMS properties table out to source files

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Mon Sep 28 10:33:33 PDT 2015

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 10:36:59 +0100
Graham Whaley <graham.whaley at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> I've still not thought of a way of tweaking the kernel-doc and pandoc
> processing to work around this either, as they are done as different
> passes/phases that neither has knowledge about the others
> requirements.
>
> As it stands, I'm failing to find a method to break out the DRM table
> into markdown tables that I believe works, fundamentally due to this
> 'incompatibility' between the kernel-doc and pandoc_markdown processing
> phases around the highlight processing.

This sort of thing is why I'm increasingly nervous about this one-off mix
of doc-generation tools we're putting together.  Sigh.

One possibility might be to have kernel-doc understand some sort of table
notation of its own and make it do the right thing.

Another might be to have kernel-doc format unconditionally to markdown
(or ReST, or something) all the time, then have the secondary processor
handle everything from there.  A bigger change, obviously.  Probably not
something anybody wants to face, but we may reach a point where we need
to consider having less than three independent formatting tools in the
mix.  I *may* get a chance to mess with this idea in the next week or so,
but no promises.

jon