Troubleshooting LVDS on GM45 (kernel 4.5.0)

Rob Kramer rob at solution-space.com
Mon Apr 4 03:14:45 UTC 2016

I've tried again without video parameter -- same outcome. I've also
applied Ville's patch "drm/i915: Read timings from the correct
transcoder in intel_crtc_mode_get()" (with teeny backport fix). It seems
this code is never called in my case though, since intel_lvds_init()
chooses to use the VBT mode instead. Log is uploaded here:
http://pastebin.com/bGa2UvLu

Since this VBT mode is probably junk anyway, I commented out the
if-statement that selects it (in intel_lvds.c), so that the code will
pick the mode as set by BIOS. The result is much better, I actually get
proper looking output! X also runs well on top of that.

There are still several errors in the log file though (probably caused
by my little hack), see here: http://pastebin.com/UbCjizSV.

Is using the mode as set up by BIOS the way to go for LVDS? If so, is
there a module parameter that can force this, or force the bogus VBT to
be disregarded?

Cheers!

       Rob