Black screen with KABINI with kernel 4.5 with or without DAL

Boszormenyi Zoltan zboszor at pr.hu
Tue Apr 5 04:07:26 UTC 2016

> On 05.04.2016 00:25, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
>> we have a bunch of Zotac ZBOX NANO-AQ01 with this APU:
>>
>> [    2.234372] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (KABINI
>> 0x1002:0x9832 0x1002:0x0123).
>>
>> For our application, we force 1440x900 resolution via this modeline
>> ("cvt 1440 900"):
>>
>>      Modeline    "1440x900"  106.50  1440 1528 1672 1904  900 903 909 934
>> -hsync +vsync
>>
>> The application is Chromium in kiosk mode. The problem is that
>> sometimes the screen stays black after KMS kicks in.
> So the problem occurs even without X? Does it affect HDMI or
> DisplayPort, or both?

It occurs on both but not without X. Ctrl-Alt-F2 gives me the
console login prompt. My phrasing was not what I wanted to write
and didn't finish the sentence really. X is started very early during
boot so I can see the console message only momentarily while
the screen is still in 80x25 VGA text mode. Restarting Xorg via
systemctl makes it working most of the time.

Apparently, it's not Radeon specific. We were also able to reproduce
it on an Intel machine, too, with internal LVDS and external VGA outputs.

Is Xorg 1.16.4 still a supported version with new kernels?
I think I will try to upgrade to 1.18.x.

Thanks in advance,
Zoltán Böszörményi