RFC: hardware accelerated bitblt using dma engine

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult enrico.weigelt at gr13.net
Fri Aug 5 04:37:26 UTC 2016

On 05.08.2016 01:16, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:

<snip>
Seems I've been on a completely wrong path - what I'm looking
for is dma-buf. So my idea now goes like this:

* add a new 'virtual GPU' as render node.
* the basic operations are:
  -> create a virtual dumb framebuffer (just inside system memory),
  -> import dma-buf's as bo's
  -> blitting between bo's using dma-engine

That way, everything should be cleanly separated.

As the application needs to be aware of that buffer-and-blit approach
anyways (IOW: allocate two BO's and trigger the blitting when it done
rendering), the extra glue needed for opening and talking to the
render node should be quite minimal.

--mtx