VT Switching with Atomic Modeset

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Aug 9 06:20:04 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 01:32:51PM -0500, Scot Doyle wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2016, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 06:41:11PM -0500, Scot Doyle wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm interested in discussing ways compositors could cooperate
> > > without CONFIG_VT/VT_VACTIVATE/VT_SETMODE.
> > >
> > > Daniel wrote up a nice article "VT Switching with Atomic Modeset" [1]
> > > inviting discussion on dri-devel (about much more than, but including
> > > this), David posted recently about it on dri-devel [2] and Noralf also
> > > posted the "DRM text mode" patch series.
>
> Hi Daniel, thanks for taking the time to respond.
>
> > Which problem are you trying to solve by avoiding the system compositor
> > part?
>
> Providing a transition path away from CONFIG_VT for those users who would
> otherwise prefer CONFIG_VT to using a system compositor. And as a bonus
> decreasing the usage of CONFIG_VT.
>
> > Afaiui there's not just the drm console, but all the other resources
> > assigned to a seat (input, audio, whatever) which also need to be
> > switched. And doing that imo makes much more sense if it's all done in
> > userspace.
>
> I agree that #5-#9 aren't necessary in the case of a system compositor.
> Would they would make sense as a config option?

tbh 5-9 look like VT swtiching, reimplemented in DRM. To me that doesn't
make much sense. It's true that CONFIG_VT is a bit a (locking) horror show
in the implementation, but if that's the only problem we could fix this in
the kernel.

The real reason people (me included) want to see CONFIG_VT die is that in
our opinion it's simply not the kernel's business to switch between
virtual terminals/login-sessions/... The kernel should provide tools for
that (drm master, similar revoke concepts in input, audio, ...), but then
leave the policying to userspace. Reimplementing CONFIG_VT switching, but
in a different subsystem, doesn't improve things.

Note that already today (if you set the right I-know-what-I'm-doing
Kconfig options) you can have a CONFIG_VT which does nothing but
VT-switching essentially: Enable the dummy console driver (automatically
done) and disable every other console driver - voilĂ . That should even
work together still with something like drm text or drmlog as emergency
logging consoles.

So if you want the kernel to VT-switch, then imo just enable CONFIG_VT. It
gets the job done, no need for a new uapi (and all the resulting churn in
userspace). Of course the other bits in your plan might still be needed,
but like I said I think those are fairly independent of the actul
VT-switching machinery.
-Daniel