VT Switching with Atomic Modeset

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Aug 9 19:34:02 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Scot Doyle <lkml14 at scotdoyle.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2016, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>> So if you want the kernel to VT-switch, then imo just enable CONFIG_VT. It
>> gets the job done, no need for a new uapi (and all the resulting churn in
>> userspace). Of course the other bits in your plan might still be needed,
>> but like I said I think those are fairly independent of the actul
>> VT-switching machinery.
>
> Ya, for the other topics in [1] I mainly wanted to share the idea that
> boot state does not need to consume memory. (See #3 below for a question.)
> But I don't currently understand this part of drm enough to propose those
> patches.

Properties are u64 values, and we store them in an array. Given how
big the actual data structures are that's probably not worth to
release.

> What did you have in mind when mentioning this wouldn't require an ioctl?

this = ? Do you mean capturing the boot-up state? And where did I mention this?

Side-note aka manual for making best use of your maintainer: I run
state-free, after hitting send on a mail or publish on a blog post I
pretty much immediate forget all the details again. Mostly I can
reconstruct them though from reading things again ;-) But that means
you need to supply the necessary links for me to reload context ...
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation