[RFC] drm: implement generic firmware eviction

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Tue Aug 30 21:00:31 UTC 2016

Hi David,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 09:30:44PM +0200, David Herrmann wrote:
> Hi Rob
> IOW the device handover code somehow needs to know who was responsible
> for the instantiation of the simple-framebuffer device, so it can tell
> them to remove it again. On x86 there is only one place where those
> can be instantiated. But on OF-based systems, it can be dynamically
> instantiated in many places right now.

I don't think that's true. There's the assumption that the bootloader
will have set up the framebuffer and Linux just takes over. Even on
ARM, you'll need to at least reserve the memory, grab the clocks and
so on, and it needs to happen way before you can load overlays (for
the buffer even way before the simple-framebuffer driver is probed).

I don't see how we could use overlays with simple-framebuffer, unless
we apply those overlays before linux starts, but then Linux basically
doesn't care if it was an overlay or not, it's treated as a single DT.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering