Kernel Freeze with American Megatrends BIOS

Roland Singer roland.singer at desertbit.com
Wed Aug 31 13:13:50 UTC 2016

>> Thanks. Right now I am overriding the DSDT, but I am not able to override
>> the SSDT, because I have to fix and compile all the SSDT files. There
>> are too many compile errors... Wanted to find the exact line which
>> is responsible for the hickup.
>
> Have you disassembled with externs included? That is,
>
>     iasl -e *.dat -d ssdtX.dat
>
> If you are sure that the remaining errors are harmless, you can use the
> '-f' option to ignore errors. You can also use the `-ve` option to
> suppress warnings and remarks so you can focus on the errors.

Thanks, I'll try that.

> If you look at my notes.txt, you will see that _OFF always executes the
> same code. PGON differs. When the problem occurs, "Q0L0" somehow always
> reads back as non-zero and LNKS < 7.

Oh you're Lekensteyn ^^

I don't have LNKS and no while loop after calling LKEN ?!

>> I noticed following:
>>
>> 1. Blacklist nouveau
>> 2. Boot to GDM login manager (Wayland)
>> 3. Switch to TTY with CTRL+ALT+FN2
>> 4. Load bbswitch
>> 5. Switch off GPU
>> 6. run lspci -> no freeze
>> 7. Switch to GDM
>> 8. Login to a Wayland session (X11 won't work)
>> 9. run lspci in a GUI terminal -> system freezes
>
> Is nouveau somehow loaded anyway? All those extra components (X11,
> Wayland, etc.) are unnecessary to reproduce the core problem. It occurs
> whenever the device is being resumed (either via DSM/_PS0 or via power
> resource PG00._ON).

Sorry that was nonsense. The steps to reproduce the problem are still valid.
I didn't wait enough to power it down...

But whats interesting:

1. Blacklist nouveau
2. Load bbswitch
3. Power off GPU with bbswitch
4. Power on GPU with bbswitch
5. Run lspci
6. Power off GPU with bbswitch
7. Run lspci -> freeze

So setting the GPU power state with bbswitch works as expected.
Powering it on is also fine. I did this a couple of times.
But powering it off and letting lspci powering it on, ends in a race.

It might be, that lspci does not only power the GPU on, but triggers
another pci action which causes the race condition.
Does this have something to do with your quote about the retrain bit?