Enabling peer to peer device transactions for PCIe devices

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Mon Dec 5 20:06:32 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 12:46:14PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> In any event the allocator still needs to track which regions are in
> use and be able to hook 'free' from userspace. That does suggest it
> should be integrated into the nvme driver and not a bolt on driver..

Two totally different use cases:

 - a card that exposes directly byte addressable storage as a PCI-e
   bar.  Thin of it as a nvdimm on a PCI-e card.  That's the iopmem
   case.
 - the NVMe CMB which exposes a byte addressable indirection buffer for
   I/O, but does not actually provide byte addressable persistent
   storage.  This is something that needs to be added to the NVMe driver
   (and the block layer for the abstraction probably).