[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/5] DRM logging tidy

Robert Bragg robert at sixbynine.org
Wed Dec 7 17:44:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Tvrtko Ursulin <tursulin at ursulin.net> wrote:

> From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin at intel.com>
>
> I wasn't here at the beginnings of DRM so I might have gotten this wrong,
> however the existance of DRM_NAME suggested to me that the intention was to
> allow individual drivers to override it and get appropriate prefixes in
> their
> log messages.
>
> I can't see that any driver is using it like that but I still thought it
> would
> be neat to do that. That way we could have our log messages look more
> obviously ours. For example after this series we have:
>
>  [i915] Memory usable by graphics device = 4096M
>  [i915] VT-d active for gfx access
>  [i915] Replacing VGA console driver
>  [i915] ACPI BIOS requests an excessive sleep of 20000 ms, using 1500 ms
> instead
>  [i915] Finished loading DMC firmware i915/skl_dmc_ver1_26.bin (v1.26)
>  [i915] Disabling framebuffer compression (FBC) to prevent screen flicker
> with VT-d enabled
>  [i915] GuC firmware load skipped
>  [i915] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20161205 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
>  [i915] DRM_I915_DEBUG enabled
>  [i915] DRM_I915_DEBUG_GEM enabled
>  [i915] RC6 on
>
> Previously all that was prefixed with "[drm]" which was OK but I think the
> above is even better.
>
> Also to consider is that recent drm_printk work has removed (it hardcoded)
> DRM_NAME from DRM_ERROR and DRM_DEBUG macros, while leaving it with the
> rest
> (DRM_INFO, NOTE and WARNING) creating a bit of a inconsistency.

I wonder if I can maybe fold some of this idea into my related DRM_DEBUG
[RFC] sent out recently:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126094.html

Instead of using DRM_NAME, I've experimented with updating my changes
adding support for dynamic debug to add a prefix based on
module_name(THIS_MODULE) for a similar result

One thing to consider here is that with the addition of dynamic debug
support this prefix arguably becomes redundant because the
dynamic_debug/control interface lets you choose to add a module name or
function prefix to messages, e.g. like:

echo "module i915 +mfp" > dynamic_debug/control

I've ignored the redundancy because my change still allows enabling
messages with the drm.drm_debug parameter and in that case the prefix is
still useful.

Br,
- Robert