[RFC] Using DC in amdgpu for upcoming GPU

Bridgman, John John.Bridgman at amd.com
Mon Dec 12 03:21:13 UTC 2016

Thanks Dave. Apologies in advance for top posting but I'm stuck on a mail client that makes a big mess when I try...

>If DC was ready for the next-gen GPU it would be ready for the current
>GPU, it's not the specific ASIC code that is the problem, it's the
>huge midlayer sitting in the middle.

We realize that (a) we are getting into the high-risk-of-breakage part of the rework and (b) no matter how much we change the code structure there's a good chance that a month after it goes upstream one of us is going to find that more structural changes are required.

I was kinda thinking that if we are doing high-risk activities (risk of subtle breakage not obvious regression, and/or risk of making structural changes that turn out to be a bad idea even though we all thought they were correct last week) there's an argument for doing it in code which only supports cards that people can't buy yet.