[RFC] Using DC in amdgpu for upcoming GPU

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Dec 12 09:27:27 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 07:54:54AM +0000, Bridgman, John wrote:
> Yep, good point. We have tended to stay a bit behind bleeding edge because our primary tasks so far have been:
>

> 1. Support enterprise distros (with old kernels) via the hybrid driver
> (AMDGPU-PRO), where the closer to upstream we get the more of a gap we
> have to paper over with KCL code

Hm, I thought resonable enterprise distros roll their drm core forward to
the very latest upstream fairly often, so it shouldn't be too bad? Fixing
this completely requires that you upstream your pre-production hw support
early enough that by the time it ships its the backport is already in a
realeased enterprise distro upgrade. But then adding bugfixes on top
should be doable.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter