[RFC] Using DC in amdgpu for upcoming GPU

Cheng, Tony tony.cheng at amd.com
Tue Dec 13 15:03:58 UTC 2016

Only DM that’s open source is amdgpu_dm.the rest will remain closed
source.I remember we had discussion around legal issues with our grand
plan of unifying everything, and I remember maybe it was John who
assured us that it's okay.John can you chime in how it would work with
GPLv2 licsense?

On 12/13/2016 4:40 AM, Lukas Wunner wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 09:52:08PM -0500, Cheng, Tony wrote:
>> With DC the display hardware programming, resource optimization, power
>> management and interaction with rest of system will be fully validated
>> across multiple OSs.
> Do I understand DAL3.jpg correctly that the macOS driver builds on top
> of DAL Core?  I'm asking because the graphics drivers shipping with
> macOS as well as on Apple's EFI Firmware Volume are closed source.
macOS currently ship with their own driver.  I can't really comment on
what macOS do without getting into trouble.
> If the Linux community contributes to DC, I guess those contributions
> can generally be assumed to be GPLv2 licensed.  Yet a future version
> of the macOS driver would incorporate those contributions in the same
> binary as their closed source OS-specific portion.
I am struggling with that these comminty contributions to DC would be.

Us AMD developer has access to HW docs and designer and we are still
spending 50% of our time figuring out why our HW doesn't work right. I
can't image community doing much of this heavy lifting.

> I don't quite see how that would be legal but maybe I'm missing
> something.
>
> Presumably the situation with the Windows driver is the same.
>
> I guess you could maintain a separate branch sans community contributions
> which would serve as a basis for closed source drivers, but not sure if
> that is feasible given your resource constraints.
Dave sent us series of patch to show how it would look like if someone
were to change DC.  These changes are more removing code that DRM
already has and deleting/clean up stuff.  I guess we can nak all changes
and "rewrite" our own version of clean up patch community want to see?