Passing multi-screen layout to KMS driver

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Tue Dec 13 19:59:17 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm afraid I'm not subscribed to the list, so I would greatly appreciate
a CC on replies (if any).  I have been fiddling with our
(not-upstreamed) VirtualBox guest drm driver to make it work better with
the Wayland version of GNOME Shell in Fedora 25.

One problem that I have run into (from my testing it seems to affect
Qemu too) is that we use an emulated graphics tablet device to make the
guest pointer position match the host one.  GNOME Shell nicely maps the
range of the device to the full virtual desktop, as does X.Org.  Unlike
X.Org though, GNOME Shell/Wayland does not create a single framebuffer
in video RAM for the whole desktop, where we could deduce the relative
layout of the screens by looking at the offset of their crtcs in that
framebuffer.

So I would be interested to know whether anyone else has thought about
this problem, and possibly even about an interface to let the compositor
pass the information.  If not, would people be open to the idea?  I
would much rather have something generally agreed on than hack something up.

Thanks.

Regards
Michael
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697