[RFC] Using DC in amdgpu for upcoming GPU

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Dec 14 01:50:45 UTC 2016

On 13/12/16 09:59 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> [...]
>> good part of the (not insignificant) pain incurred in the atomic
>> transition for drivers, was in fact making those drivers conform to
>> the expectations of the KMS UABI contract, which just happened to not
>> have been tripped over previously.
>>
>> Speaking with my Collabora hat on now: we did do a substantial amount
>> of demidlayering on the Exynos driver, including an atomic conversion,
>> on Google's behalf. The original Exynos driver happened to work with
>> the Tizen stack, but ChromeOS exposed a huge amount of subtle
>> behaviour differences between that and other drivers when using Freon.
>> We'd also hit the same issues when attempting to use Weston on Exynos
>> in embedded devices for OEMs we worked with, so took on the project to
>> remove the midlayer and have as much as possible driven from generic
>> code.
>>
>> How the hardware is programmed is of course ultimately up to you, and
>> in this regard AMD will be very different from Intel is very different
>> from Nouveau is very different from Rockchip. But especially for new
>> features like FreeSync, I think we need to be very conscious of
>> walking the line between getting those features in early, and setting
>> unworkable UABI in stone. It would be unfortunate if later on down the
>> line, you had to choose between breaking older xf86-video-amdgpu
>> userspace which depended on specific behaviours of the amdgpu kernel
>> driver, or breaking the expectations of generic userspace such as
>> Weston/Mutter/etc.
>>
>> One good way to make sure you don't get into that position, is to have
>> core KMS code driving as much of the machinery as possible, with a
>> very clear separation of concerns between actual hardware programming,
>> versus things which may be visible to userspace. This I think is
>> DanielV's point expressed at much greater length. ;)
>>
>> I should be clear though that this isn't unique to AMD, nor a problem
>> of your creation. For example, I'm currently looking at a flip-timing
>> issue in Rockchip - a fairly small, recent, atomic-native, and
>> generally exemplary driver - which I'm pretty sure is going to be
>> resolved by deleting more driver code and using more of the helpers!
>> Probably one of the reasons why KMS has been lagging behind in
>> capability for a while (as Alex noted), is that even the basic ABI was
>> utterly incoherent between drivers. The magnitude of the sea change
>> that's taken place in KMS lately isn't always obvious to the outside
>> world: the actual atomic modesetting API is just the cherry on top,
>> rather than the most drastic change, which is the coherent
>> driver-independent core machinery.
>
> +1 on everything Daniel said here. And I'm a bit worried that AMD is not
> realizing what's going on here, given that Michel called the plan that
> most everything will switch over to a generic kms userspace a "pipe
> dream". It's happening, and in a few years I expect the only amd-specific
> userspace left and still shipping will be amdgpu-pro for

The pipe dream is replacing our Xorg drivers with -modesetting. I fully
agree with you Daniels when it comes to non-Xorg userspace.

> In the end AMD missing that seems just another case of designing something
> pretty inhouse and entirely missing to synchronize with the community and
> what's going on outside of AMD.
>
> And for freesync specifically I agree with Daniel that enabling this only
> in -amdgpu gives us a very high chance of ending up with something that
> doesn't work elsewhere. Or is at least badly underspecified, and then
> tears and blodshed ensues when someone else enables things.

Right, I think I clearly stated before both internally and externally
that the current amdgpu-pro FreeSync support isn't suitable for upstream
(not even for xf86-video-amdgpu).