HDMI Audio screwed up w/ recent kernels

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 05:36:39 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 12:17 PM, James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> wrote:

> DV> amdgpu doesn't yet support hdmi audio.
>
> Then why does it support the amdgpu.audio command line option, and why
> does booting an amdgpu kernel with amdgpu.audio=1 sound the same as
> booting a radeon kernel w/ radeon.audio=1?

That option is just a carry over from when the amdgpu was copied from
radeon.  There is some code for older asics left over from when the
code was originally ported from radeon.  If you want hdmi audio
support you need to use the new dc modesetting code we are working on:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=amd-staging-4.7

As for radeon, a bisection would help.  If both drivers worked before
and now both have issues, I'd suggest looking at the hda audio driver.

Alex