Porting GCN pre-1.2 parts from radeon to amdgpu kernel driver

Alexandre Demers alexandre.f.demers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 11:45:25 PST 2016

Hello to both of you,

I've been following the development mostly of the radeon driver for some
time (with some small commits here and there as you may know). I was
waiting to hear some news about the coming support of Vulkan API. And I
have been wondering for sometime now if it would be a good think to have
all GCN parts moved from the radeon driver to the amdgpu kernel driver
(I had figured out it would be possible, but would it be of any use was
still unanswered). I was also curious to know if the new Crimson
software would support the radeon driver at some point.

Now, I may have had a clear answer: I just read from Phoronix' editor
Michael Larabel
(http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Help-Bring-Older-GCN-To-AMDGPU)
that Vulkan would come to the amdgpu driver only, that the blob (which
should eventually be opened) would support all GCN parts and that the
only missing part to support GCN pre-1.2 parts with both Vulkan and
Crimson would be to have them ported from the radeon driver to the
amdgpu driver. Am I understanding correctly?

I'd be interested to know a bit more about the task and I may try to
start the work or join someone who would already be interested in doing so.

Any comments on the matter? Any missunderstood thing?

Cheers!

--
Alexandre Demers