linux-4.4 bisected: kwin5 stuck on kde5 loading screen with radeon

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Jan 21 00:36:46 PST 2016

On 21.01.2016 16:58, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 03:41:27PM +0900, Michel Dänzer wrote:

>>> ... just like drm_vblank_pre/post_modeset. That those were broken is a
>>> regression which needs to be fixed anyway. I don't think switching to
>>> drm_vblank_on/off is suitable for stable trees.
>>
>> Even more so since as I mentioned, there is (has been since at least
>> about half a year ago) a counter jumping bug with drm_vblank_on/off as well.
>
> Hm, never noticed you reported that. I thought the reason for not picking
> up my drm_vblank_on/off patches was that there's a bug in amdgpu userspace
> where it tried to use vblank waits on a disabled pipe?

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2015-July/086451.html

I don't know why it didn't get picked up.

> Can you please point me at the vblank on/off jump bug please?

AFAIR I originally reported it in response to
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2015-August/087841.html
, but I can't find that in the archives, so maybe that was just on IRC.
See
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-January/099122.html
. Basically, I ran into the bug fixed by your patch because the counter
jumped forward on every DPMS off, so it hit the 32-bit boundary after
just a few days.