ABI changes analysis report for libdrm

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 11:24:47 UTC 2016

Hi Andrey,

On 5 July 2016 at 12:46, Ponomarenko Andrey <andrewponomarenko at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a new project for backward compatibility analysis of the Linux ABIs. The report for libdrm 2.4.25-2.4.68 has been recently added to the project and updated every other day: http://abi-laboratory.pro/tracker/timeline/libdrm/
>
> The report is generated with the help of the abi-compliance-checker, abi-dumper and abi-tracker tools: https://github.com/lvc/abi-tracker
>
> Hope this will help users, maintainers and developers of the library to maintain backward compatibility.

Thanks for reaching out. Was meaning to contact you and/or other
developers behind this nifty tool.

While the 'breakage' here is carefully thought of (there are no users
of the affected API), we might be less fortunate in the future.

That said, would any of the following be possible ?
 - Automatically contact relevant ML with a brief and/or link about
backward incompatible changes/releases ?
 - Would it be possible to track/warn on forward compat. changes (some
libraries (libGL, libEGL come to mind) should not expose any new
symbols)
 - Some project seem out of date (mesa comes to mind) - any ideas
what's happening with the processing ? Does one have to initiate the
process manually and/or there's something else slowing things down ?

Thanks
Emil