[RFC] dma-buf: Import/export the implicit fences on the dma-buf

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Jul 12 16:16:28 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 05:36:37PM +0200, Christian König wrote:
> Am 12.07.2016 um 16:31 schrieb Daniel Vetter:

> > > The only difference here is that we believe the GPU drivers to enforce
> > > the ordering between each other. So we can either insert a wait before
> > > adding the exclusive fence, or we can just not expose an import ioctl.
> > > Extracting the set of fences isn't an issue? (That's the part that has a
> > > more legitimate usecase.)
> > If we change the kernel to just merge everything together when importing a
> > new fence I think it should be perfectly save. I.e.
> > 1) grab reservation lock
> > 2) assemble a fence_array with the current fences + the new one passed in
> > through sync_file.
> > 3) put that into the right slot
> > 4) unlock
>
> Yeah that sounds like this should work.
>
> > If we switch reservations over to fence_array it might even be somewhat
> > pretty.
>
> Actually I rather wanted to suggest that we use something like the
> amdgpu_sync object for the reservation object instead.
>
> E.g. a collection like interface where fences can be added later on and only
> the newest one is kept around for each context.

Yeah, imo fence_array should automatically reduce the set of fences to the
minimal set needed and merge all the ones on the same timeline. And we
could rebase reservations on top of fence-array.

Or at least something along those lines.

> The only problem with that approach is that it is a bit tricky to do without
> locking, e.g. only RCU.

I thought RCU is only for reading/waiting on fences, and that for changing
them you always need to acquire the ww mutex behind the reservation?

Cheers, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation