HDLCD crashes with 6d910bfa809e

liviu.dudau at arm.com liviu.dudau at arm.com
Wed Jun 8 10:42:09 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 12:01:20PM +0200, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> Hi Liviu,

Hi Marek,

[HDLCD bug report content removed]

> >>I've just send a fix for this issue. I'm sorry for the regression. I hope
> >>the fix fill
> >>quickly get into next to solve your problem.
> >Thanks for the patch, however I have some comments to it.
> >
> >>The additional check for null dev make sense, because the new function
> >>of_reserved_mem_device_init_by_idx can be called with any device and node
> >>pointer not
> >>embedded with it, so I would like to keep it safe.
> >And I have to admit I find that scary. Why do you accept any node that is *not* related to
> >the device? If you want just the ability to parse multiple "memory-region" phandles (where
> >are the bindings defined for that?) I would have modified of_reserved_mem_device_init() to
> >the the parsing and accept either the single entry style or a node with multiple
> >"memory-region" phandles in it. Otherwise I can steal the "memory-region" of another device
> >and that device would have no idea that I have done this.
>
> The idea is not to steal memory region from another device, but to let
> driver to use multiple
> regions assigned to the supported device with dma-mapping api. To use them
> with dma-mapping
> subsystem, one needs separate struct device for each reserved region. The
> idea is to create
> child devices of the device, which has memory-region property. Then for each
> such child
> device, driver can call of_reserved_mem_device_init_by_idx() to enable usage
> of dma-mapping
> api based on the selected reserved region. Such approach was already used
> for long time in
> the media/platform/s5p-mfc driver and now it has been converted to use
> generic reserved
> memory regions.
>
> If you feel scary about this approach, maybe a check if the device provided
> of_reserved_mem_device_init_by_idx() function is one of the successors of
> the device hidden
> behind the provided node pointer (or points to the same device)?

That would not hurt to have.

> >Can you point me to the latest thread where this patch has been discussed?
>
> This patch is a part of "Exynos: MFC driver: reserved memory cleanup and
> IOMMU support" thread
> and has been around for a while:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg97645.html

Thanks! I'm not subscribed to linux-media and way behind a lot of other MLs, so
I have not noticed it.

I've had a look at the patchset, found one case where you might leak some memory.

I also think you could've had an of_reserved_mem_device_init_list() function
that inits all the "memory-region" nodes and returns a list struct reserved_mem*
that the driver can then assign to whatever internal variables it has. That
way you can validate that all the "memory-region" phandles are used by the same
parent device.

Best regards,
Liviu

--