AMD Carrizo HDMI audio

João Paulo Rechi Vita jprvita at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:14:23 UTC 2016

Hello Alex and Maruthi,

I'm trying to get HDMI audio working on a AMD CARRIZO laptop, which I
believe need the ACP changes which got merged into Linux 4.6. But
testing the v4.6 tag, amd_acp_hw_init() returns -ENODEV, because it
succeeds the "if (acp_mode != ACP_MODE_I2S)" test in acp_hw.c. Does
this mean this chip does not uses ACP, or is there anything else
missing?

lspci shows me the following gfx/audio devices (I believe this is a
dual-gpu machine):

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee
ATI Device 9874 (rev c5) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9840
00:09.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 157a
03:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Sun
[Radeon HD 8600M Series] (rev ff)

Both amdgpu and radeon get automatically probed. Sorry if I'm missing
something obvious here, I'm quite new to dual-gpu machines.

Thanks and best regards,

--
João Paulo Rechi Vita
http://about.me/jprvita