How do I substitute drm_gem.h with another header file for Linux 3.2 kernel?

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Thu Mar 24 08:08:20 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am one of the two developers (the other is Ran Huang who posted a patch on this mailing list recently) working on reviving VIA Technologies DRM module that will support KMS and TTM.
Using the installation notes James Simmons (the previous developer who did a lot of work trying to finish this module, but has since disappeared), I am able to nominally install the work in progress DRM module.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Openchrome/TtmGemKms/

The reason I call it "nominally" is due to the fact that if I boot Lubuntu 12.04 with Linux 3.19-rc6 kernel, I do not have any control of PS/2 or USB mouse (hot plugging a USB mouse does not work), although DRM module works with KMS activated (confirmed this by checking Xorg.0.log), and the system will not freeze (i.e., keyboard works and the OS is functional).
However, the problem I have is, due to fact that I prefer using Lubuntu 12.04 for development (Linux 3.2 kernel), I am having compilation issues trying to backport the James Simmons' VIA Technologies DRM to Linux 3.2 kernel.
In particular, I get the following error messages when I compile Linux 3.2 kernel with James Simmons' VIA Technologies DRM source code.

. . .
  CC [M]  drivers/gpu/drm/via/via_drv.o
In file included from drivers/gpu/drm/via/via_drv.c:30:0:
drivers/gpu/drm/via/via_drv.h:46:25: fatal error: drm/drm_gem.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

I checked /include/drm of Linux 3.2 kernel source code, and indeed, there is no drm_gem.h there.
How do I substitute drm_gem.h with another header file for Linux 3.2 kernel?

Regards,

Kevin Brace