[RFC 0/6] drm/fences: add in-fences to DRM

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:40:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 4:18 AM, Inki Dae <inki.dae at samsung.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2016년 03월 24일 03:47에 Gustavo Padovan 이(가) 쓴 글:
>> From: Gustavo Padovan <gustavo.padovan at collabora.co.uk>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a first proposal to discuss the addition of in-fences support
>> to DRM. It adds a new struct to fence.c to abstract the use of sync_file
>> in DRM drivers. The new struct fence_collection contains a array with all
>> fences that a atomic commit needs to wait on
>
> As I mentioned already like below,
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg103225.html
>
> I don't see why Android specific thing is tried to propagate to Linux DRM. In Linux mainline, it has already implicit sync interfaces for DMA devices called dma fence which forces registering a fence obejct to DMABUF through a reservation obejct when a dmabuf object is created. However, Android sync driver creates a new file for a sync object and this would have different point of view.
>
> Is there anyone who can explan why Android specific thing is tried to spread into Linux DRM? Was there any consensus to use Android sync driver - which uses explicit sync interfaces - as Linux standard?

btw, there is already plane_state->fence .. which I don't think has
any users yet, but I start to use it in my patchset that converts
drm/msm to 'struct fence'

That said, we do need syncpt as the way to expose fences to userspace
for explicit synchronization, but I'm not entirely sure that the
various drivers ever need to see that (vs just struct fence), at least
on the kms side of things.

BR,
-R