i915 with valleyview

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Mon May 9 08:19:16 UTC 2016

On Fri, 06 May 2016, Sudip Mukherjee <sudipm.mukherjee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 12:21:04PM +0100, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>> I am trying to use i915 in one of our board which has Intel ATOM E3840.
>> I know Intel has released emgd driver for this cpu to use i915 but emgd
>> is not supported on v4.5 (or v4.6). The board is having SFI (simple
>> firmware interface) and maybe for that i915 is not finding the VBIOS and
>> other required information.
>
> I have been looking more into it and looks like it is supposed to use
> dsi but since there is no vbt so has_mipi is never set and dsi is never
> initialized.
> Can you please point me to somewhere or maybe give some idea how i can
> use i915 in a board where there is no vbt.

Hate to say it, but the i915 DSI support heavily relies on the VBT being
present. Basically all the configuration is there. I haven't got a clue
how emgd handles it. Maybe Matt does?

Basically you'd either have to figure out the configuration for the
panel from somewhere and feed it to intel_dsi_panel_vbt.c, or write a
panel specific driver of your own.

BR,
Jani.