New LCD connector type?

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon May 9 18:09:26 UTC 2016

Sergei Shtylyov <sergei.shtylyov at cogentembedded.com> writes:

> (Resending as I couldn't find this message from January in the list archives.)
>
> Hello.
>
>     We have a board which has Newhaven Display LCD [1] connected via a what
> seems to be a custom 40-signal LCD connector. That connector includes (6-bit
> per component) RGB signals, DISP, H/VSYNC, and the pixel clock signals; in
> addition, there are I2C and IRQ signals.
>     Now we need to add support for this kind of connector to the R-Car DU
> driver in order to get the LCD panel resolution from the device tree (see
> drivers/gpu/drm/rcar-du/rcar_du_*con.c for the examples) and so we'd probably
> need a new DRM_MODE_CONNECTOR_* constant in include/uapi/drm/drm_mode.h in
> order to do that... Laurent advised me to ask for the opinions on the
> dri-devel mailing list first, which I'm doing. :-)

I just added the DPI connector/encoder type for this type of panel
connection (even though the pinouts are different on all of the actual
connectors).  I think thta would make the most sense.  I haven't updated
libdrm for it yet, though.

See
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux/commit/?h=drm-next&id=0b27c02a7f1c697694f2ad6d6517e7dbf9ecfa39
for the commit