[Intel-gfx] linux-next: manual merge of the tip tree with the drm-intel tree

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Nov 8 17:11:06 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 06:04:15PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 05:09:16PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > > Now, I know you're working on getting rid of this entirely for i915, but
> > > what about that MSM driver? Will we continue to need it there, is
> > > anybody actually maintaining that thing?
> >
> > Rob Clark is, and since he's a one-man gpu driver team with other
> > responsibilities it might take even longer than for i915 :(
>
> Fair enough. For my information, how much a of copy/paste job from i915
> was that? Could he, in principle, copy/paste your changes to get rid of
> this back into MSM without too much effort, or have things diverged
> greatly since the initial copy/paste?

Probably diverged too much already, and on top the big part is the command
submission, and that's entirely driver/hw specific. But etnaviv is a plain
gem driver which uses per-bo locking, and there's all the ttm drivers with
similar designs, so there's plenty of templates. But it's not just
copypasta for sure.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter