[BUG] hdlcd gets confused about base address

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at armlinux.org.uk
Mon Nov 21 12:25:56 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 11:32:12AM +0000, Liviu Dudau wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 11:20:30AM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > I first noticed it when booting with the buggy I2C EDID reading, so
> > DRM wasn't seeing a valid EDID.  Then when Xorg started up and shut
> > down, I noticed that the framebuffer console was shifted.  It's actually
> > shifted to the left because framebuffer pixel 0,0 is not displayed.
>
> I see. So the reason why I did not notice this was the EDID transfers
> mostly working for me.

It also happens when EDID transfers work too!

> > > Do you resize the display mode as well afer re-enabling HDLCD?
> >
> > I quite literally just did:
> >
> > ./devmem2 0x7ff60230 w 0; ./devmem2 0x7ff60230 w 1
>
> Sorry, was not very clear. Under my assumption that you were resizing the
> display with xrandr, I was wondering if the issue you were seeing disappeared
> when using devmem2 plus the resizing.

I think the problems are much deeper.  I've added this:

static void hdlcd_crtc_enable(struct drm_crtc *crtc)
{
        struct hdlcd_drm_private *hdlcd = crtc_to_hdlcd_priv(crtc);
printk("%s: active %d cmd %08x\n", __func__, crtc->state->active, hdlcd_read(hdlcd, HDLCD_REG_COMMAND));
        clk_prepare_enable(hdlcd->clk);

static void hdlcd_crtc_disable(struct drm_crtc *crtc)
{
        struct hdlcd_drm_private *hdlcd = crtc_to_hdlcd_priv(crtc);
printk("%s: active %d\n", __func__, crtc->state->active);
        if (!crtc->state->active)
                return;

What I see in the kernel log each time I change the resolution is:

[  221.409577] hdlcd_crtc_disable: active 0
[  221.430206] hdlcd_crtc_enable: active 1 cmd 00000001
[  239.264672] hdlcd_crtc_disable: active 0
[  239.285180] hdlcd_crtc_enable: active 1 cmd 00000001
[  278.712792] hdlcd_crtc_disable: active 0
[  278.730361] hdlcd_crtc_enable: active 1 cmd 00000001
[  281.633841] hdlcd_crtc_disable: active 0
[  281.668578] hdlcd_crtc_enable: active 1 cmd 00000001

So, when ->disable is called, active is always zero.  This
leads to...

$ head -n3 /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary
   clock                         enable_cnt  prepare_cnt        rate   accuracy
  phase
 pxlclk                                   6            6   148500000          0 0

the enable and prepare counts for this clock incrementing by one each
time I change the resolution.

> > Maybe hdlcd shouldn't be implementing the ->enable callback but instead
> > the ->commit callback then?
>
> I believe we need ->enable for the initial setup (cold boot or module
> reloading).

Yes, I found a comment in DRM saying that ->commit is for legacy drivers
only.

I think the problem is that hdlcd is not really knowing what the true
state of the CRTC is, as illustrated by the clock counts increasing
and the state of crtc->state->active.

I'm wondering if this is a core DRM bug though... the comments and
code do not align:

/**
 * drm_atomic_helper_commit_tail - commit atomic update to hardware
 * @state: new modeset state to be committed

void drm_atomic_helper_commit_tail(struct drm_atomic_state *state)
{
        struct drm_device *dev = state->dev;

        drm_atomic_helper_commit_modeset_disables(dev, state);

/**
 * drm_atomic_helper_commit_modeset_disables - modeset commit to disable outputs * @dev: DRM device
 * @old_state: atomic state object with old state structures
void drm_atomic_helper_commit_modeset_disables(struct drm_device *dev,
                                               struct drm_atomic_state *old_state)

So, is "state" in drm_atomic_helper_commit_tail the old state or the
new state?  Should this state be passed to
drm_atomic_helper_commit_modeset_disables(), which seems to expect
the old state?

It looks _really_ screwed up here - in any case, it really doesn't
help when you're not experienced with atomic mode set to work out
what the hell this code is doing... it seems to be a horrible mess.
Maybe someone who understands this code ought to read through it
from the point of view of someone who doesn't understand it and fix
the comments, or get rid of the down-right misleading comments.

Comments are worse than useless if they mislead.  Better to have no
comments than misleading comments.

Daniel?

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/