Question regarding clocks in the DW-HDMI DT bindings

Philipp Zabel p.zabel at pengutronix.de
Fri Nov 25 16:08:13 UTC 2016

Am Freitag, den 25.11.2016, 17:45 +0200 schrieb Laurent Pinchart:
> Hi Philipp,
>
> On Friday 25 Nov 2016 10:56:55 Philipp Zabel wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 24.11.2016, 23:16 +0200 schrieb Laurent Pinchart:
> > > Hi Andy,
> > >
> > > As the author of the DW-HDMI DT bindings this question is addressed to
> > > you, but information from anyone is more than welcome.
> > >
> > > The DT bindings specify two clocks named "iahb" and "isfr" but don't
> > > describe them. While I assume that the "isfr" clock corresponds to the
> > > "isfrclk" input signal of the DW HDMI, there is no "iahb" clock described
> > > in the IP core datasheet.
> >
> > The Table 33-1 "HDMI clocks" in the i.MX6DQ reference manual [1] lists
> > iahbclk (AHB bus clock), icecclk (32 kHz CEC clock), ihclk (module
> > clock) and isfrclk (27 MHz internal SFR clock).
> >
> > [1]
> > http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/reference-manuals/IMX6DQRM.pdf
> >
> > > The DW HDMI IP exposes control registers through an APB, not an AHB. There
> > > is a bus clock named "iapbclk", is "iahb" just an incorrect name for that
> > > clock ?
> >
> > According to figure 33-3 "HDMI TX Top Level Block Diagram" the control
> > interface is AMBA AHB on i.MX6. Both iahbclk and ihclk are clocked by
> > ahb_clk_root on i.MX6.
> >
> > Register 5 (HDMI_CONFIG1_ID) contains a few bits (confsfrdir, confi2c,
> > confocp, confapb, confahb) that indicate which control interface is
> > used.
>
> That's interesting. The DW HDMI TX documentation I found (1.40a-ea00, Early
> Adopter Edition) only has the confahb bit in that register. Do you know which
> version of the IP is used in iMX.6 ? I wonder whether the above is a
> Freescale-specific modification to the IP core.

The driver reports:

dwhdmi-imx 120000.hdmi: Detected HDMI controller 0x13:0xa:0xa0:0xc1

That is DESIGN_ID 0x13, REVISION_ID 0x0a.

> I'm also a bit puzzled by the differences in the HDMI PHY between Freescale
> and Renesas. The Renesas datasheet documents three registers only for the PHY
> (other might exist and be undocumented), and while they contain fields similar
> to the ones documented in the Freescale datasheet, the exact register layouts
> are different.

Do you mean the HDMI_PHY_* registers in the HDMI TX register space or
the separate HDMI PHY i2c registers? The PHY may very well be completely
different. I think OMAP5 HDMI driver uses the same DesignWare HDMI TX as
i.MX6, but not the same PHY.

regards
Philipp