Unix Device Memory Allocation project

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Wed Oct 19 00:08:49 UTC 2016

Thanks for the detailed writeup, and it was good to meet you at XDC.  Below:

On 10/18/2016 04:40 PM, Marek Olšák wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The text below describes how open source AMDGPU buffer sharing works.
> I hope you'll find some useful bits in it.
>

> Producer = allocates a buffer (or texture), and exports its handle
> (DMABUF, etc.), and can use the buffer in various ways
>
> Consumer = imports the handle, and can use the buffer in various ways
>

> *** Producer-consumer interaction. ***
>
> 1) On handle export, the producer receives these flags:
>
> - READ, WRITE, READ+WRITE: Describe the expected usage in the consumer.
>   * The producer decides if it needs to disable compression based on
> those flags.
>
> - EXPLICIT_FLUSH flag: Meaning that the producer will explicitly
> receive a "flush_resource" call before the consumer starts using the
> buffer. This is a hint that the producer doesn't have to keep track of
> "when to do decompression" when sharing the buffer with the consumer.
>

> 2) Passing metadata (tiling, pixel ordering, format, layout) info
> between the producer and consumer:
>
> - All AMDGPU buffer/texture allocations have 256 bytes (64 dwords) of
> internal per-allocation metadata storage that lives in the kernel
> space. There are amdgpu-specific ioctls that can "set" and "get" the
> metadata. Any process that has a buffer handle can do that.
>   * The produces writes the metadata, the consumer reads it.
>
> - The producer-consumer interop API doesn't know about the metadata.
> All you need to pass around is a buffer handle. (KMS, DMABUF, etc.)
>   * There was a note during the talk that DMABUF doesn't have any
> metadata. Well, I just told you that it has, but it's private to
> amdgpu and possibly accessible to other kernel drivers too.

OK.  I believe someone pointed this out during my talk or afterwards as
well.  Some drivers are using this method, but there seems to be some
debate over whether this is the preferred general design.  Others have
told me this isn't the right mechanism to store this sort of metadata,
but I'm not familiar with the specific counter arguments.

>   * We can build upon this idea. I think the worst thing to do would
> be to add metadata handling to driver-agnostic userspace APIs. Really,
> driver-agnostic APIs shouldn't know about that, because they can't
> understand all the hw-specific information encoded in the metadata.
> Also, when you want to change the metadata format, you only have to
> update the affected drivers, not userspace APIs.

How does this kernel-side metadata interact with userspace driver
suballocation, or application-managed suballocation in APIs such as Vulkan?

Thanks,
-James