[Intel-gfx] Bad flicker on skylake HQD due to code in the 4.7 merge window

James Hogan james at albanarts.com
Sun Sep 11 14:10:53 UTC 2016

On 7 July 2016 at 20:19, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-07-07 at 09:55 -0700, James Bottomley wrote:

>> > I did a quick once over of out DDI vswing stuff and didn't find
>> > anything too serious. There were some buglets in the iboost
>> > handling,
>> > but I'm not very hopeful that fixing those would help with your
>> > machine.
>> >
>> > Here's a branch anyway in case you want to give it a go:
>> > git://github.com/vsyrjala/linux.git ddi_iboost_fixes
>> >
>> > Actually, I think the only patch in there that might make a
>> > difference is 15d887855180 ("drm/i915: Fix iboost setting for DDI
>> > with 4 lanes on SKL")
>>
>> Running with it now (the entire branch).  So far it looks OK, but
>> I'll give it a couple of days to see if anything manifests before
>> declaring victory.
>
> Bad news, I'm afraid: after a couple of hours of run time, there is now
> noticeable flicker on the display, so although the iboost fixes may
> have lessened it, it's still present.
>
> James

I've just bisected a similar (same?) problem (slow increase and
decrease of screen brightness with a period of a few seconds) to the
same commit (this is on a Dell XPS 13 laptop)

commit a05628195a0d9f3173dd9aa76f482aef692e46ee
Author: Ville Syrjälä <ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com>
Date:   Mon Apr 11 10:23:51 2016 +0300

    drm/i915: Get panel_type from OpRegion panel details

the difference for me is that good commits used the acpi backlight,
and bad ones used the intel backlight (/sys/class/backlight/). Its
like intel_backlight is fighting with the firmware to control the
backlight or something. Reverting the commit on v4.7.3 switches it
back to the acpi backlight and all works nicely again.

let me know if I can provide anything else to help debug.

Cheers
James