DRM: how to support live source

Ginny Chen ginny.chen at mediatek.com
Wed Sep 21 07:18:29 UTC 2016

Dear All:

I am Ginny Chen from Mediatek company.I start to work with DRM for a
while and now I am evaluating our display architecture for our new SoC.
I would like to adopt DRM to develop our display driver.
However, in our new SoC, the input source of display engine could be
memory or direct-linked with other hardwares (ex:camera sensor) which
means the input source of each plane should be able to configure during
plane updating.
As my understanding,with currently DRM framework, the input source of
plane could only be framebuffer that implies we still need to allocate
framebuffer for planes which are direct-linked with other hardware
engines if I want to control planes without modifying DRM framework.
It will waste memory and doesn't make sense for user to notice/manage
the framebuffers for direct-linked DRM planes.
Do you have any ideas for such use case?
Any suggestion will be very appreciated.

Regards,
Ginny Chen