GPU-DRM-TILCDC: Less function calls in tilcdc_convert_slave_node() after error detection

Jyri Sarha jsarha at ti.com
Thu Sep 22 20:22:48 UTC 2016

On 09/22/16 21:38, SF Markus Elfring wrote:
>>> The of_node_put() function was called in some cases
>>> by the tilcdc_convert_slave_node() function during error handling
>>> even if the passed variable contained a null pointer.
>>>
>>> * Adjust jump targets according to the Linux coding style convention.
>>>
>>> * Split a condition check for resource detection failures so that
>>>   each pointer from these function calls will be checked immediately.
>>>
>>>   See also background information:
>>>   Topic "CWE-754: Improper check for unusual or exceptional conditions"
>>>   Link: https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/754.html
>>>

>> I don't really agree with this patch.
>
> This kind of feedback can be fine at first glance.
>

>> There is no harm in calling of_node_put() with NULL as an argument
>
> The cost of additional function calls will be eventually not noticed
> just because they belong to an exception handling implementation so far.
>

>> and because of that there is no point in making the function more complex
>
> There is inherent software complexity involved.

I think the "if (node)" in the of_node_put() is there on purpose,
because it potentially saves the caller one extra if()-statement and
keeps the caller code simpler.

>> and harder to maintain.
>
> How do you think about to discuss this aspect a bit more?

Keeping the goto labels in right order needs precision and can lead to
subtle errors. Sometimes there is no way to avoid that, but here there is.

Best regards,
Jyri