Static inline DRM functions calling into GPL-only code

Harry Wentland harry.wentland at amd.com
Tue Apr 11 16:09:08 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-11 11:15 AM, James Jones wrote:
> On 04/10/2017 11:20 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

>>> * Open-source the nvidia kernel driver? tbh I'm not sure how much you
>>> can still make the case that your driver is fully an independent thing
>>> if you're adopting stuff like atomic modesetting. Might be better to
>>> make all the glue/remapping code from linux atomic to the shared
>>> cross-os code at least open
>
> As the original message stated, this code is already open (MIT license).

Just out of curiosity, can I find this on any public repo or webpage?

If inlining is the issue it looks like this is not used by any upstream
DRM driver (or DAL) directly but only from a bunch of atomic functions,
none of which are inline.

If this is an issue for NVidia would this also be an issue for any other
MIT licensed code, such as drm_atomic_helper.c?

Harry