Proposal for RandR version 1.6, Leases [v2]

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Apr 29 05:52:53 UTC 2017

Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> writes:

With the changes to the kernel interface, and discussion about how to
mask HMD outputs from X applications still ongoing, I've ripped the
grabs out of the protocol and will add whatever we come up with back at
some point.

In any case, there are just two requests now, CreateLease and
FreeLease. There are also events delivered when leases are created or
destroyed so a client can see when the lease holder dies. Leases are
named with XIDs so the client can tell lease has died. When the lease
creator frees a lease, the actual lease (may) stay around; you don't get
events on those as they no longer have an XID.

The kernel doesn't (yet) support a lessor terminating a lease; I think
that's something we'll probably want, so I added it to this protocol
as a point of discussion.

Oh, and all of the code is up and running, so this is more real than it
was a couple of weeks ago.

Here's the patch to the protocol and protocol headers. Once this looks
reasonable, I'll send out the xcb and X server patches to match.